Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Istanbul Princes' Islands

Hi. Exactly 2 weeks ago today, I was traveling to Istanbul. Yes, I know this is a long overdue blog post, but I had over 1000 pictures to edit, so cut me some slack.
Also, I had a hard time recovering from the traumatizing experience that people call flying.  If you read this post you probably know that even being in a cable car is like a near-death experience for me.
I hate losing control, I hate being stuck in a cramped space up in the air and whatever people might say it doesn't get better with time. It actually gets worse. Last time when I flew on a plane I was a lot calmer, this time around I had a panic attack that felt like a stroke.
Any tips on how to overcome flight anxiety?

Anyway, let's talk about my trip to Istanbul. Istanbul is officially the 6th most visited city in the world, it also has a population of 14.1 million, so you can imagine how crowded the city can be. 
In case you were wondering if Istanbul would be a good city break destination, know that for me it wasn't. You need to take a break to charge your batteries prior to coming here because you will need fully charged batteries to explore this remarkable city.

My fiance and I spent 4 short days in Istanbul and because there was so much to see we had to walk for about 10-11 hours a day. The weather in April was a bit chilly, but it was actually the perfect weather for touring the city on foot. 
It was nothing like a break, it was more like a marathon. Gotta visit'em all! 

It was definitely worth it though. Istanbul is fascinating, affordable and truly unique! The city located on two continents has something for everyone. The endless liveliness of Istanbul, the food, the markets, the amazing sights such as the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace, the Bosphorus cruise, will win you over.

I will not show you the chaos of the city in today's post however. We will take things slow and embark on a virtual trip to Princes' Islands. 
The Prince Islands, are a chain of nine islands off the coast of Istanbul, Turkey, in the Sea of Marmara.  
 
We took the ferry to the largest of the Princes' Islands, Buyukada, and even though the island is only one hour away from Istanbul it's feels worlds apart. 

The cars are banned here so transport is either by foot, bike or horse-drawn carriage. We decided to explore the island by foot to make sure I pet all the stray cats we take in all the architectural richness of the island. There are so many beautiful old mansions and villas with such elaborate decorations, trim gardens, that will take you back in the time tunnel a full century.
Stay tuned for more photos from my trip to Istanbul later this week!

 
Dolmabahce Mosque is located in the south of Dolmabahce Palace, in Besiktas, on the European coast of Bosphorus.
 

5 comments:

Laura Tenshi said...

So many kitties! And goodness, you captured those seagulls so beautifully! O.O
I bet you had a fun experience, I heard great things about this city and maybe one day I will visit it too.

Laura Tenshi said...

Hi, Laura, it was very interesting to read what you have to say about one of the most densely populated cities in the world, I lived there with my husband for about six months, I also liked it a lot, as there is so much to see and explore, taste Turkish food, visit their markets, etc. It is truly a great city! Wish you a nice day tomorrow! <3 xoxo

www.stylehenge.com

Laura Tenshi said...

Their pastry is the best! And this compliment comes from one of the pickiest people in the world. It is an amazing city, but a little too chaotic for my tastes. You survived there for 6 months and for that you deserve a medal. All the best!

Laura Tenshi said...

Oli! Iti doresc sa vizitezi tot ce iti propui. Hugs!

Laura Tenshi said...

You are so right, Istanbul also seemed to me too crowded, too busy, I felt 6 months like 6 years, I didn't honestly enjoy living there, I liked Bostanci district a lot, I would love to live there, much quieter and free of the city hassle.