Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Istanbul Mosques

Hi! I am back with some more pictures from my trip to Istanbul. This time we are going to visit  the four famous mosques of Istanbul that deserve special attention. Süleymaniye Mosque,
The New Mosque (Yeni Cami), The Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia.

Süleymaniye Mosque is the largest mosque in Istanbul and like many famous mosques in Turkey it was designed by the chief Ottoman architect, Mimar Sinan.
The imposing mosque was built on the order of Suleiman the Magnificent in 1550. Sinan completed the mosque and the large complex surrounding it in 1557.
The tomb of Suleiman the Magnificent can be found in the complex.
In the next set of photos, you can see The New Mosque (Yeni Cami). The construction of the mosque began in 1597 and it was completed in 1663. This gives a whole new meaning to the word new, right? The New Mosque is located in the Eminonu district of Istanbul, near the Spice Bazaar. 
Next we have the historical mosque, Blue Mosque, known as SultanAhmet Mosque in Turkish, after the Ottoman sultan Ahmet I who had it built from 1609 to 1616.
It was dubbed Blue Mosque because of the blue tiles in its interior.

And in the last two pictures, you can see the magnificent Hagia Sophia. Hagia Sophia is a former Greek Orthodox church and it was converted to a mosque in 1453 when Constantinople was conquered by the Ottoman Empire.

Süleymaniye Mosque
The New Mosque (Yeni Cami)


 
The Blue Mosque
 

Hagia Sophia Mosque

5 comments:

Laura Tenshi said...

Wow, the architecture is absolutely beautiful! Love your outfit, especially the pop up of yellow! Photography is amazing, thank you for sharing your Istanbul experience! <3

www.stylehenge.com

Laura Tenshi said...

My pleasure! I love taking pictures and I am glad that I am able to share them with my virtual friends.
P.S. Thank you for all of the thoughtful and nice comments on my blog. Though I haven't find the time to reply until now, I did read them and appreciated them.

Laura Tenshi said...

Hi, sweetie, it is my pleasure, love your blog and the info you share <3 I have been next to these mosques but we didn't get chance to visit them, hopefully next time :) have a nice day! <333

www.stylehenge.com

Laura Tenshi said...

Everything looks so beautiful and omg those fruits are just soooo juicy and they look so delicious!! O.O

Laura Tenshi said...

amazing photos! we have a giveaway on our blog, don't forget to check it out!! :)

Saci
ChocolateFashionCoffee
ChocolateFashionCoffee Facebook Page
ChocolateFashionCoffee INSTAGRAM!!!